[lbo-talk] Katrina Vanden Heuvel In the Court of the Crimson King

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 09:17:24 PST 2009

Dwayne:

> Ah, life (American life in particular, apparently) is complex and
> therefore, Predator drones...perhaps emblazoned with the image of MLK.

As I put it the day after his nomination:

"The other prominent, disgusting aspect about last night's event was CNN continually reminding us that Obama was accepting the Dem nomination 45 years to the day of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 'I Have A Dream' speech. Other than skin color, I really can't see much resemblance between the two. Obama the community activist is long dead. The guy is one step away from managing an aggressive empire. Not quite what King had in mind, I'm guessing.

"'I have a dream, that one day, a man of African heritage will rise up from humble beginnings, and take the reins of imperial power, bombing and starving poor people he's never met in order appease those affluent few who made his ascent possible. I have a dream today!'

"And don't think that Obama won't bomb poor people. Afghanistan is only the first target. Senator Change openly promised more aggression as liberals cheered his line about preparing for 'future conflicts.' I saw one bearded youth sporting a peace sign applauding Obama's martial rhetoric. What have I told you about liberals getting a whiff of blood?"

I should've taken more bets back then.

Dennis