[lbo-talk] Firesale of the Empire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:16:43 PST 2009

Eric Beck wrote:

> On 12/11/09, dredmond at efn.org <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> > Taibbi at his finest, on the neolib restoration:
>
> Really? Reads like a pretty standard rehashing to me, albeit with more
> amped-up prose. And the Alternet-style outrage and the populist
> finger-pointing at They who screwed Us the taxpayers are not just
> fatuous but also a little creepy. Mapping the web of personal
> connections between the players for fun reporting I guess, but does it
> really tell us anything other than than some are more connected than
> others. More generally, the left really needs to get over its
> accumulation-by-dispossession kick.

I hadn't planned even to look at the piece until I read this interesting comment. After wrestling to get it into a Word file that was partly legible, I reas as far as the following:

Obama's Big Sellout

****** The president has packed his economic team with Wall Street insiders intent on turning the bailout into an all-out giveaway

Barack Obama ran for president as a man of the people, standing up to Wall Street as the global economy melted down in that fateful fall of 2008. ****

The phrase, "Obama's . . .sell-out," is liberal self-delusion at its worst, or best.

Obama has NOT sold out. Obama is a principled, courageous, and highly intelligent servant of the Empire of Capital. Those who analyze his administration as a sell-out are rather important servants of capital themselves, contributing greatly to the illusion that capitalism would be fine if only good and honest leaders were elected.

That illusion can also be described as a failure to acknoledte the tautolgy, Capitalism is Capitalism One might as well try to generatre Euclidean Geometry on the basis of denying that if a=b then b=a.

Carrol