[lbo-talk] "Latino" identity more prevalent on left than among actual Latinos

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Dec 12 05:02:03 PST 2009

At 12:03 PM 12/11/2009, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>At 08:11 AM 12/11/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>>According to the Pew Hispanic Center's National Survey of Latinos,
>>more than half (52%) of Latinos ages 16 to 25 identify themselves
>>first by their family's country of origin,
>

>I don't get the subject line. Isn't Latino a census and mainstream media
>term?

Actually, it's Hispanic that was pushed by the government: http://soaw.org/article.php?id=830

but it's controversial among activists. Studies show that registered voters call themselves Hispanic but this is dismissed by activists as the expression of assimilated 2nd and 3rd generationers: http://latinostories.com/Brown_Latino_Literature_Project/Essays/Hispanic_Versus_Latino.htm

This provides an interest compare/contrast chart of reasons why to embrace or reject the terms. One argument is that Latino is preferred by activists because it's a rejection of the government applied Hispanic. The chart also cynically notes that politicians use Latino to signal a "grassroots" attitude.

http://www.lasculturas.com/aa/aa070501a.htm

Linda Alcoff has some great stuff on ethnicity and identity politics, particularly in the binary of threat and promise -- where Latinos are both a threat and a promise to the u.s. -- which Good Buddy tells us isn't advanced by advocates of identity politics cuz they aren't really smart enough to have observed the phenom on their own. http://www.alcoff.com/content/beyondbinary.html