[lbo-talk] Firesale of the Empire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 12 06:21:57 PST 2009

Eric Beck wrote:

> Everyone already knows that The
> System is fucked. What nobody knows, including especially the
> prophetic left, is what to do about it.

I agree with this (and the rest of yourpost). I would also, however, emphasize the sense of powerlessness -- as in "You can't beat City Hall" or "Demonstrations don't accomplish anything." This is part of the reason that a militant movement can attract people merely by existing, independently of how persuasive its arguments are. Propaganda by Example! I think that this was probably the main element that drew me to the Civil Rights and Anti-War movements of the '60s.

Carrol