[lbo-talk] Obama: killing for 2012

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Dec 13 15:59:41 PST 2009

I suspect that Carrol and Dennis are using different yardsticks for measuring "victory."

Carrol is right, in that US had managed to establish a military beachhead for itself in Iraq, that it seems most loathe to give up.

However, Dennis is right too. If the US should have anymore such "victories," its days as a global superpower may be over faster than we think.

I also don't think that the US will succeed in pacifying Afghanistan. If the Soviets couldn't do it, and the Brits at the height of their empire couldn't do it, why should anyone expect the Americans to do any better?

Jim F.