[lbo-talk] Obama: killing for 2012

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:59:37 PST 2009

Contrary to the belief by many, I don't think the US has really seeks to use its military to control an industry. Its history is more of the use of force to open up areas and industries for global capitalism, and to protect US investments, or even non-US capitalist investments. It does not, usually, set up colonies or mercantilist systems. Its power has always lied in its use of force to open up areas that seems to benefit global capital in general, which is why it is hegemonic amongst advanced nations. Of course there are exceptions, but I think this is pretty much the case. I think we need to analyze Iraq and Afghanistan in the same way.

Brad