[lbo-talk] Obama: killing for 2012

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:25:22 PST 2009

> I'm perfectly willing to believe that there's nothing rational about
> this, and U.S. policy has been driven by some atavistic lust for real
> estate. But trying to make rational sense out of these adventures may
> be going too far.
>
> Doug
>

> Agreed. Unintentional consequences? Or, just plain failure?

> "That U.S. oil companies did rather poorly in the recent round of auctions
> in
> Iraq" -- even if that should remain the case -- doesn't say much about his
> central affirmation, that "the critical issue is control, not access."
> C. G. Estabrook
>
> How so? The notion of control rests on US corporations being in control,
how else does one control Iraqi oil and keep it from those nasty central Asians? Based on the actual outcome, Cui bono? Not the US, they don't control the flow of oil.

One of the major problems for Chomsky, IMO, is that he sees everything in geopolitical conflicts that rest on the unsubstantiated idea that China and the US are in competition over resources. It's cold war thinking.

Brad