[lbo-talk] Obama: killing for 2012

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 14 13:43:17 PST 2009

Capitalism, imperialism, and geopolitics suggest that the ability to stop and start the flow of oil and gas is at least as much an advantage today -- probably much more -- as it was when Kennan, Chomsky and Brzezinski pointed out that it was. Even if it's not decisive, it's surely an asset that US planners have not been willing to ignore.

What's the "big change in material circumstances" that altered US policy goals in the ME in a generation? The only one I can see is increasing dominance by the US and its client(s). The loss of control of Iran thirty years ago has surely been made up.

Your professed love for Noam is probably tested by the following, from Newsweek [sic] in 2006:

Q: Where do you see Iraq heading right now?

Chomsky: Well, it's extremely difficult to talk about this because of a very rigid doctrine that prevails in the United States and Britain which prevents us from looking at the situation realistically. The doctrine, to oversimplify, is that we have to believe the United States would have so-called liberated Iraq even if its main products were lettuce and pickles and [the] main energy resource of the world were in central Africa. Anyone who doesn't accept that is dismissed as a conspiracy theorist or a lunatic or something. But anyone with a functioning brain knows that that's not true -- as all Iraqis do, for example. The United States invaded Iraq because its major resource is oil. And it gives the United States, to quote [Zbigniew] Brzezinski, "critical leverage" over its competitors, Europe and Japan. That's a policy that goes way back to the second world war. That's the fundamental reason for invading Iraq, not anything else.