[lbo-talk] Woolhandler analysis of Medicare buy-in

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 19:01:31 PST 2009

Surely if it were extended as Woolhandler says it would just foist the most costly patients onto Medicare increase the deficit bring in a storm of criticism about the cost of govt. involvement in health care and lead to cuts in medicare. There would be no motivation to extend medicare except to unload even more costly patients onto the public purse since they are not profitable to the insurance companies. I suppose the reason that many are against the provision is that they would rather that the govt. directly subsidise private insurance by subsidising payment of premiums. This way those that cannot profitably be insured can be insured at a profit.

Cheers, ken hanly

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html