[lbo-talk] Invertebrate tool use

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 16 07:08:27 PST 2009

Chris D cannot make an argument against cannibalism because no ahistorical (moral) argument would bevalid. But from ahistorical perspective the present period almost universally condemns it. As Marx, in contrast to Rousseau, thought capitalism history rather than evil, so was cannibalism history rather than evil (or wrong).

Incidentally, according to Oxford Professor Felipe Fernandez-Armesto humans are the only species that pracxtices canibalism. (He notes that the chimpanzees Jane Goodall reported as practicing cannibalism were clearly pathological. I can't remember now his interpretation of this fact or even whether I found it convincing when I listened to the CD.

Carrol