[lbo-talk] communists

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 16 10:09:20 PST 2009

I would like to hear more on this too.

Perhaps of related interest. There was not a single hegmonic party in the '60s, and many then and today of course would deny that the wildly disparate activies of the '60s constituted a single "movement" in any sense. Historians of the future will dubtless wrangle over it. My current hypothesis was that that period _dic_ constitute in some rough and ready but adequate way a single coherent movement and, moreover, I don't believe that that coherence _could_ have been achieved had a single party exercised hegemony.

I make those points not to argue them but as contrext for the following.

No one as far as I know has even tried to estimate the number of "hardcore activists" (from all 'soucre,' including not only the identifiable formal organizations but local activists). But I suspect it would not have been more than a few thousand. Yet that was arguably one of the most successful social movements in U.S. history. I presume the 20,000 mentioned below refers to all nations, not just one. And extrapolating from the '60s, I would say that it was more apt to be an overestimate than an underestimate.

Carrol