[lbo-talk] Sam Gindin, ON THE REVIVAL OF THE WORKING

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 16 10:49:30 PST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> By the way, this is one of the reasons I can't get behind the naming
> of the revolutionary vanguard. Doug's working class, Zizek's
> slum-dwellers, and Hardt and Negri's immaterial workers all assume a
> political subject before the actual politics has happened.

That's not what I was thinking really. I was thinking that the subject would come into existence through political action - so if you had some unions that were worth a damn, with energy and a good agenda to appeal to the broad working class, the process of gaining adherents from many walks of life and fighting together would/could create that subject.

Doug