[lbo-talk] Sam Gindin, ON THE REVIVAL OF THE WORKING CLASS

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Dec 16 11:17:01 PST 2009

On Wed, December 16, 2009 10:00 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The millions in the
> new slums, while miserable and numerous, do not hold such power, even in
> potential.

"Slum" implies small groups of poor people, but globally speaking, neoliberalism has created a vast, urbanized, and mediatized working class, which lives on $1000 to $3000 a year. More people work for a living in factories and offices (as opposed to farming) than ever before in human history.

They've been organizing themselves for some time, mostly via developmental states and social movements. But we Americans should acknowledge just how corrupted ordinary US citizens have become due to seemingly infinite cheap credit and the symbolic status-rents of Empire. Just listen to Harry Reid, Senate majority leader, scold China for failing to hand over China's music market to iTunes (I'm not making this up):

http://www.tradereform.org/content/view/2214/52/

-- DRR