[lbo-talk] Sam Gindin, ON THE REVIVAL OF THE WORKING CLASS

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:33:21 PST 2009

> This is also true of peasants in their societies. The key isn't the
> existence of this "material reason"; it's the consistency of the conditions
> of individuals with those required for the development of the required
> degree of rational self-consciousness (something different from the usual
> idea of "consciousness").
>
> Marx's account of what's required is mistaken.
>

> Ted

The difference between feudal societies and capitalism is that feudal relationships were based on the explicit subordination and exploitation of the peasants, while under capitalism this relationship is obfuscated and people are seemingly equal. This is why all marxism or revolutionary leftistm should seek to expose this hidden exploitation and require that society live up to its stated equality for all. In the former there is no revolutionary potential of the peasants apart from an inversion of the relationship and the social roles, in capitalist social relations there is the possibility of transcendence by removing the exploitative nature through the material position of the working class *and* the subjective development of a society that at least believes in such a non-exploitative equal society. By uniting the ideology and subjective development of society produced through capitalist objectification of labour, the capacity (not I wrote capacity not necessity) to transend exploitation and unequal relations is produced. or sum such thingy...

Brad