[lbo-talk] corporate profits?

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:50:38 PST 2009

Margin is the ratio of profits to revenue. There are different measures of profitability depending on what expenses are included or not -- net profits, gross profits, EBITDA, etc. -- and thus different margins (gross margin, net margin, etc.) Seems like you're talking about net margin, that is net profits divided by net revenue, the "bottom line" on the income statement divided by the "top line."

Out of the office so don't have any datasets in front of me, but 1-2% seems low. Might be a good figure for retail, but certainly in hospitals, the industry I follow, a more typical profit margin these days is 5%+.