[lbo-talk] Firesale of the Empire

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Dec 18 09:59:18 PST 2009

I don't think we disagree at all. In my book, Invention of Capitalism, I describe it as a continuing process. What I meant by one-off was that each increment of primitive accumulation is a one-off act that cannot be repeated. In other words, once a piece of land is stolen by the capitalists, it is stolen. If another capitalist steals it, it is not exactly primitive accumulation, but a transfer of titles among capitalists. By primitive accumulation expands geographically -- the taking of African oil which is moving into new territory. It can become more intensive as well, as in the privatization of water.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michaelperelman.wordpress.com