[lbo-talk] Fw: Concerning your submission to *Science & Society*

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Dec 18 17:10:06 PST 2009

Jim Farmelant wrote:
> A statement, which as far as these things go,
> is pretty much a common place in the philosophy
> of science. There are certainly plenty of
> examples in the history of science of
> theories continuing to be widely accepted
> by scientists despite their inconsistencies
> with empirical data because at the time
> there were no good alternative theories
> to replace them. So I think Laibman
> does have a point here,
>
> Jim F.

Not so much. If a theory is refuted time and again by evidence, it should be discarded. It doesn't matter how many theories there are to replace it. A good scientific theory is consistent with the available evidence. If there is no well-supported theory in a particular field of study at a particular time, that's not the end of the world; it just means we have some creative theorizing to do.

And if it makes you feel better, here's an alternative theory to replace the theory of efficient markets: Markets do not efficiently allocate resources; rather, they are a mechanism to ensure the concentration of wealth and power in a society. I know Laibman probably doesn't think that's a "good alternative theory", but that's his subjective judgment based on economic dogma rather than evidence.

Bottom line: there are always lots of theories we can generate to replace a theory this is repeatedly refuted by data, so Laibman's point is--beside the point.

Miles