[lbo-talk] Telling the U.S. left what to do

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 13:22:12 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can't avoid the issue of personal leadership. Any political
> challenge against Obama would have to be personified to be serious.
> Frankly, Michael Moore, Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader, and other
> well-known figures of the left are not up to this task. If we exclude
> miracles, the personification of the primary challenge to Obama -- if
> it's going to emerge -- is most likely to come from inside the
> Democratic Party!
>
> A bunch of people here are going to say, "What? Another Democrat
> again? Don't we learn anything? Democrats are part of the problem."
> Etc. So, basically, we go to square one in the old debate we've had
> here for years. As far as I'm concerned, the Obama fiasco doesn't
> alter my view of how the U.S. left can and should relate to the
> Democrats as a political formation:
> /
>
> Despite being fairly sour on the idea of putting our eggs in the basket of
"personification", I still think you have a good point here. But why not consider the possibility of promoting Bernie Sanders, who has the advantage of being an independent. And besides, the tepid progressives of the Democratic party are unlikely to put up a challenger to Obama's second term efforts.

Sheldon