[lbo-talk] New fact lames the human superpredator theory?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 04:14:21 PST 2009

I always thought this idea smelled faintly of human wank, the "we're so awesome and kick so much ass" theory.

----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 2:50:22 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] New fact lames the human superpredator theory?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22obtundra.html

  The New York Times   December 22, 2009

  Observatory

                    DNA Shifts Timeline for Mammoths Exit

  By HENRY FOUNTAIN

  Thousands of years ago in northwestern North America, large animal   species, among them the woolly mammoth and the horse, became extinct.   Among the proposed explanations for this is one known as the blitzkrieg   hypothesis -- that humans entering the region rapidly wiped the animals   out through overhunting.

  The validity of that explanation, and others, depends in parts on the   timing of the extinctions. How many thousands of years ago did the   animals disappear?