[lbo-talk] Angier: Plants Don't Want to Die Either

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 07:34:21 PST 2009

It's not valid, you're correct. But I don't believe other human beings have minds on logical grounds anyway.

If I built a "brain" out of trained donkeys and pulleys that performed all the operations of a brain, which if a brain is just a series of physical objects performing operations should be possible, it would seem... odd to say that the complex of trained donkeys and pulleys had a mind.

----- Original Message ---- From: Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 6:03:29 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Angier: Plants Don't Want to Die Either

Of course, 1. I have mental states. 2. I am a person. 3. You are a person. --- C: You have mental states. isn't valid either. I'm not sure if there's a good reason to believe that I'll have mental states in the future, either, other than various zombie impossibility arguments. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk