[lbo-talk] Angier: Plants Don't Want to Die Either

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 12:29:41 PST 2009

Panpsychism and pantheism are practically the same thing. What else would you call a universal mind?

We have just been arguing that minds are _not_ causally reducible to brains. They are causally reducible to a huge number of events, not all of which occur in the brain, the hugeness of the number of events being basically the number of events that are inside my light-cone. Isn't this rather similar to absolute idealism?

Anyway, if your criterion for something having a mind is that something reacts to events, that's going to include ecosystems and stars and planets and basically anything.

----- Original Message ---- From: Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com>

Panpsychism.

> As an aside, your thought processes do involve lots of things that are not part of you (like air and light). Does that make the air and light part of your mind? If "mind" is the sum total of events that determine my thinking, almost everything is part of my mind.

It's a commonplace of phil. mind that "minds aren't brains" (even if they're causally reducible to them.) Appropriately extend "brain" and you have a decent answer, I think.