[lbo-talk] Angier: Plants Don't Want to Die Either

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 16:31:54 PST 2009

Well Ryle is kind of obviously wrong, since my mind is not simply how I act. :) I could sit in the corner and not do anything, and I would still have a mind.

(Jesus, Ryle! I haven't thought of him in over 10 years.)

----- Original Message ---- From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>

I was thinking more along the lines of Gilbert Ryle's notion that it is a mistake to think of mind as a substance or a thing.  It's rather a way of acting.  Ryle denied that his a position was a form of behaviorism (as Wittgenstein did too) but it sure looks like a species of behaviorism to me.