[lbo-talk] About That Whole Left Thing...

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Dec 23 12:21:17 PST 2009

In re David Harvey:

--------- http://davidharvey.org/2009/12/organizing-for-the-anti-capitalist-transition/ "If this is the outline of the exit strategy then almost certainly we will be in another mess within five years. The faster we come out of this crisis and the less excess capital is destroyed now, the less room there will be for the revival of long-term active growth." ---------

I respect Harvey's work enormously, but some (friendly) critique:

1. Who's this "we"? Wall Street is on a suicide course with history, sure. But the developmental states, the BRICs, ALBA, the EU and East Asia are not. Us Anglo-American Leftists really need to stop invoking that Imperial "we" when we really mean "the 5% of humanity who live in the Anglo-American zone".

2. The whole "more pain, more gain" theory has not worked out economically or politically. Suffering just makes people worse. We need better ways of getting Americans to understand that their pain = Wall Street's gain.

3. Harvey does acknowledge the length and breadth of the anti-neolib movements, especially in the second half of the essay, but he doesn't talk too much about how the digital commons is uniting them. One of the fascinating things about videogame culture is its ability to map multipolarity, to give it geospatiality, as it were.

-- DRR