[lbo-talk] Dennis Brutus, 1924-2009

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sat Dec 26 06:51:15 PST 2009

Dennis Brutus words

history will remember

bold calm resolute spirit

I knew Dennis Brutus when he was at the University of Denver in 1970. He gave us permission to run one of his poems in the student newspaper I edited. We gave it a full page. Brutus was an ally of Dean John Rice, (Condi's dad) in exploring White racism and the Black experience with students on campus.

He will be missed

The struggle continues

-Chip Berlet

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Patrick Bond Sent: Sat 12/26/2009 7:40 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: [lbo-talk] Dennis Brutus, 1924-2009

In mid-2008, Doug did a brilliant interview with Dennis on WBAI: http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html (July 10 edn)

Dennis left us this morning, surrounded by loving relatives, without pain. His final period in Durban, about six weeks ago, reminded all of us of the courage and 'stubborn hope' - and of the need not to mourn, too long, but to celebrate. If anyone would like to assist with memorials, in whatever city and setting, please let us know; events will be announced in coming days.

<<snip>>