[lbo-talk] Harvey: Organizing for the Anti-Capitalist

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 13:37:14 PST 2009

> Chuck Grimes wrote
>
> So then, maybe Holt-Gimenez sounds more conspiratorial than perhaps he
> is. I was proposing that H-G is something like a model, upon which to
> construct answers, probably on a much larger scale. For example, Oakland
> has a thriving produce market, run by various asian immigrant
> communities. The produce is `local' in the sense of nearby truck farms
> in the San Joaquin and Salinas valleys who sell direct to the markets.
> These locations are at most half a day trucking distance. This is in
> sharp contrast to supermarket chains who get shipments from Mexico and
> Central America were much of the fruit and vegetables are now grown,
> because of course there is more profit to be made. Because there is less
> transportation costs and many fewer middlemen, the produce sold in
> Oakland's `Chinatown' is better and cheaper. I assume the same or
> something similar is going in SF's much more famous Chinatown. This area
> also used to have a thriving fish market system. But now of course the
> region's Pacific fisheries are dying out. What I see in the fish counter
> is pathetic and much obviously farmed.

That's all good to hear but it does little good to those of us who don't live in the cornocopic climate of California. I still don't see how petty commodity producers overcome the problems of capitalist AG, they may increase the potential for democratic control over the economy but historically local producers and markets have not meant increased economic democracy or decreased exploitation.

> Instead of conspiracy theory, what I see is money, which always involves
> a conspiracy to hide the processes of capitalism. There are some
> conspiratorial elements in the form of lobbies, deals over water use,
> pesticides, herbicides and a lot of behind closed doors meetings in
> state and local government agencies. The point to that government
> secrecy is seen in public attitudes that would and have rejected many of
> these secret deals.
>
> US state involvement in agribussiness is not new and it is important to
point out the linkages, but this is just the first step. One needs to fill in how capitalism has lead agriculture where it is not by monopoly control over the state but by its process of enlarging commodification.

> When I wrote about local production, that wasn't intended to mean small
> is beautiful. It was intended to mean within a country or region that
> rejected the efforts of US corporations to move into regions and start
> overhauling some previously working system. Twenty years ago, there was
> no such thing as Mexican hot house tomatoes which are tasteless.
> Meanwhile, fifty years ago, produce I ate in Guadalajara was local and
> was the most delicious stuff I ever tasted. I was forbidden to eat it,
> but I did any time I could.

Yeah that stuff tasted great, but I would not have wanted to be a women living under such patrilocal conditions, or for that matter a peasant digging in the hot sun all day. I actually am not so sure that those systems really where working- infant mortality, oppressive gender relations, children's labor, life expectancy. That is not to say that US corporations should come in and overhaul them. Just that we need to have a vision that both understands the resistance to capitalism's push to shift and is forward looking and will make peoples lives better.

> So what I am saying is that while on paper it looks like the neoliberal
> GMOs and food production systems might be on the wane, the whole mental
> world through which that was developed, doesn't seem to have suffered. I
> don't say that as a conspiracy theory crack pot, but because I've tried
> to think about the lost of a certain `moral' character about doing
> science. I am pretty certain HB would have been involved in some
> capacity with the movements to save the rain forest from agribusiness
> exploitation. I think he already was to some degree. He spent summers in
> a Costa Rican field station where those issues were already becoming a
> problem back in the 70s. The way the issue was framed back then, was
> preservation of natural forests as a national treasure, i.e. not a
> resource. This was done through a system of national parks and
> biological reserves.
>

> CG
>
> Oh, I never meant to say that neoliberalism and capitalist AG was on the
wane, just that it is not the same as it was before. US FDI into Ag TNC's from the south is huge. So US corporations, and hedge and pension funds, are just investing in local AG-corporations rather than having international subsidiaries. This is how the trends are changing. It is never static and HG and others on this are actually behind the curve and either have not seen or choose to not look at the emperical data that show this. All this means that we need to have new analysis and stratigies.

Brad