[lbo-talk] How Banks Prey on the Unemployed

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Dec 31 10:37:41 PST 2009

How Banks Prey on the Unemployed

By BARBARA KOEPPEL

While posting breathtaking profits in the last two quarters – Wells Fargo’s $3.2 billion, Citigroup’s $3 billion and Chase’s $2.7 billion – U.S. banks have figured out a way to squeeze some extra dollars from those who can least afford it, the unemployed.

Here’s how it works. In the past two years, states have been overwhelmed with unemployment claims. Always eager to serve, America’s banks offered a deal the states couldn’t refuse.

Sign a contract — which won’t cost you a dime — and send us your weekly unemployment funds, the banks said. In return, we’ll issue our VISA or MasterCard debit cards to your laid-off workers, on which we’ll post their benefits electronically.

Thirty states signed on with the usual suspects — Citi, Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America — and some smaller ones, too. More states are lining up.

http://www.counterpunch.org/koeppel12172009.html

The bleed method comes from transaction and service fees, like charging for withdrawals, balance inquiries, etc. Really brilliant. At a guess I imagine the banks are plying their other gaming techniques using the unemployment funds as collateral on god knows what.

CG