[lbo-talk] letter to NYT public editor

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Feb 1 07:43:08 PST 2009

Here is a letter I sent to the Times public editor. Michael Perelman sent me the Times article on Braddock, PA. Michael Yates

Dear Mr. Hoyt:

On January 31, the Times published an article by David Streitfeld on the town of Braddock, PA. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/us/01braddock.html?pagewanted=2&ref=us).This article, titled "Rock Bottom for Decades, But Showing Signs of Life," is remarkably similar to one published in Monthly Review's December issue by Jim Straub--"Braddock, Pennsylvania: Out of the Furnace and into the Fire." Virtually everything in the Straub article is in Streitfeld's. Given that the Monthly Review article has gotten a good deal of publicity, even praised on Jame's Wolcott's Vanity Fair blog (December 18, 2008). I'd bet that Mr. Streitfeld got the idea for a Braddock piece from Straub and used Straub's article as a template for his. Yet he gave no credit to Straub or Monthly Review. Straub did the original work and your journalist piggy-backed on it without telling readers what he had done. I am from western Pennsylvania and can assure you that unless Streitfeld is from around there too, he would not know much about Braddock.

The person who informed me of your Braddock piece remarked that newspapers are becoming more like blogs. Original research is a thing of the past. Copying is in.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Yates, Associate Editor of Monthly Review and Editorial Director of Montlhy Review Press.