[lbo-talk] Fwd: S&S Call for Papers

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:11:31 PST 2009

"What I see is enormous pressure on corps from shareholders to shovel big loads of cash into their pockets rather than invest it in the business. That's a battle within the capitalist class that doesn't fit into any standard Marxist models, which for the most part (with one exception being a book called Wall Street by some guy from New York) don't take that division into account."

And that was exactly what recommended the book to me. Still, without making any unnecessary obeisance to 'Marxist Models' (the idea of a 'model' itself being hostile to Marx's method of logical reconstruction through abstraction) I thought that as good as Wall Street was as an account of the process, I wanted to interpret the dynamic as being rather the other way around, that the shareholders movement took off because corporate accounts were bloated. 'The perverse growth of the financial markets is a symptom of the slow-down of capitalist investment, but not its cause', as I wrote at the time, in Living Marxism. http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AOSMXWXYJ6A22?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview