[lbo-talk] Marx before Minsky

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Feb 1 14:34:41 PST 2009

I trust Doug on data, so if what I say is wrong, I stand ready to be corrected. The finance, insurance, and real estate sector accounts for about 40% of profits [working from memory]. When BusinessWeek published that estimate, I contacted the reporter, David Henry asking him where the finance arms of corporations like General Electric and General Motors were. He thought that their earnings might be counted as manufacturing, but was not sure.

One of the main factors hidden in our discussion is the fact that much of manufacturing has not been renewing capital, but letting it age. As a result you can get increases in production at having some new capital, but letting existing capital get old.

I'm too swamped now to fish out the data, but as I recall much of the investment in manufacturing is coming out of depreciation funds.