[lbo-talk] Thoughts on all this sort of thing.

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 20:58:29 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:47 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Philip,
>
> Indeed. Also, a plague of wildcat strikes has broken out across England:
>
> "Mediators called in as wildcat strikes spread across UK |

Oh, we've been going down that path too. Our development has been "uneven" in the Harveyian sense of the term (first usage of Harveyian?). Our economic centre has developed dramatically (Dublin) while our periphery is highly dependent on very few investors. What we're seeing now is strikers who are getting involved in "sit-ins" simply because they have no other option..... this is a class with nothing to lose... it almost reminds me of the miners in Britain back in the 80s but without the political backing:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0201/breaking1.htm

> Obama might be fakin' it, but recently he's voiced unusually supportive
> words re: the US labor movement. ("Labor is the solution, not the problem,"
> signing the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, etc.)

We haven't even got the overtures of a supportive labour discourse. Our moronic policy makers are sticking to their guns. Which perhaps in a sense is better in order for people to realise what absolute shit they're speaking... we're a cynical race after all. But I'm seeing this around Europe at the moment. Maybe its something that should be considered...