[lbo-talk] your Facebook is their fortune

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 09:50:53 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I just don't get it. I don't care what Facebook does with my info.
> If some marketer thinks it's interesting that I'm a member of the
> "I Want to be Michel Foucault's Love Slave" group, well, I'm
> curious about what product they'd be selling. It might be worth a
> look.

And if the fetish isn't for you, then don't indulge in it. Isn't that how your policy for other harmless fetishes?

Birthdates, in my experience, have been used for partial identity verification before, and I don't want to add to the already oversized risk of identity theft. Maybe doing anything to prevent identity theft is a lost cause, and privacy attempts are nothing more than empty gestures to obscure our impotence. I, for one, don't know what the hell to do.

Shane