[lbo-talk] Marx before Minsky

Rudy Fichtenbaum rudy.fichtenbaum at wright.edu
Mon Feb 2 13:42:50 PST 2009

Michael,

One indication of the trend you are speaking of might be seen by looking at business receipts for manufacturing as a percentage of total receipts. In 1952 Business Receipts (Gross Sales) accounted for 97% of Total Receipts in Manufacturing. In 1994 Business Receipts accounted for 94% to Total Receipts in Manufacturing. In 2005, Business Receipts accounted for 84% to Total Receipts in Manufacturing.

Also in 1952 capital assets in manufacturing accounted 58%, in 1994 depreciable assets accounted for 42% of all assets in manufacturing and in 2005 depreciable assets accounted for 22% of total assets in manufacturing.

All of this data comes from Corporate Income Tax Returns: http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/index.html for 1994-2005. Earlier years are available only in hard copy.

Rudy