[lbo-talk] Open source [was: your Facebook is their fortune]

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 05:01:01 PST 2009

But OpenOffice sucks! The Microsoft version is much better.

[WS:] Why? I absolutely hate M$ Word - it is loaded with crap that most people do not need, and that crap tends to activate itself if you inadvertently press some key. I also hate their totally unncessary changes in the layout of controls and file formats. This is the epitome of monopoly capitalism - push as much stuff down consumer throats as humanly possible, and make it obsolete the minute after they buy it. I wholeheartedly despise their business practices, and their products by extension.

As to OpenOffice - I started using it lately, and so far do not see any major problems with it. It seems to work smoother than M$Word, but hen I do not do any fancy schmantsy formatting. The only problem I experienced thus far is going back to the M$Word format again.

I heard this opinion that OpenOffice sucks from various computer geeks, but nobody was able to explain to me why. It seems to me like another version of the Amerikan national mythology that private is better than public.

Since I am seriously considering switching from proprietary to the open source software as much as possible as a matter of principle (fuck monopoly capitalism), I would really appreciate any feedback, based on experience rather than opinions, as to the quality of these products.

Wojtek