[lbo-talk] Open source [was: your Facebook is their fortune]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 3 08:54:45 PST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I heard this opinion that OpenOffice sucks from various computer
> geeks, but nobody was able to explain to me why. It seems to me
> like another version of the Amerikan national mythology that private
> is better than public.

Well I'm not subject to that mythology.

The OO version of Excel can't do lots of stuff, like regressions, and is very slow. I'm using an old version of MS Office because the latest one - at least for the Mac - can't do things I want. E.g., they dropped VBA, and you can't copy an Excel graph into Illustrator.