[lbo-talk] Jon Stewart on Cutting the Payroll Tax

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Feb 3 19:17:37 PST 2009

I've always heard that the reason the payroll taxes are regressive is so that they can keep track of how much you put in so that it *looks like* people are "saving" for their future. Maintaining that fiction seems less and less important these days ... I think I did a thumbnail sketch once that found that if you didn't limit it to the first $N of income, you could cut the rate to less than 1% and be revenue-neutral. At that point, it would be simple to put SS on-budget and get rid of the tax altogether.

/jordan