[lbo-talk] WTF??? 6 US states reclaim sovereignty - 10thAmendment

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 13:28:43 PST 2009

> One of the unappreciated casualties of the War of 1861, erroneously
> called a Civil War, was its contribution to the erosion of constitutional
> guarantees of state sovereignty. It settled the issue of secession,
> making it possible for the federal government to increasingly run
> roughshod over Ninth and 10th Amendment guarantees. A civil war, by the
> way, is a struggle where two or more parties try to take over the central
> government. Confederate President Jefferson Davis no more wanted to take
> over Washington, D.C., than George Washington wanted to take over London.
> Both wars are more properly described as wars of independence.

As odious as the Confederacy was, they had every right to secession. But there was simply no way that the expanding federal government would allow that, especially with thoughts of further imperial conquest. Losing the southern states would've been a huge blow to that plan. And even if the south broke away, I'm sure war or wars with the north would've happened sooner or later.

Dennis