[lbo-talk] Modern punk - WAS Re: The Cramps!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 21:42:21 PST 2009

Philip,

I'm familiar with the bands you write, only to me they fit more into the "indie rock" category than as heirs to the punk genre of which I consider bands like MDC, The Dicks, Dead Kennedys, etc, the progenitors.

Doug would certainly be the first to let you know of bands I have pestered him with in this regard. :)

Refusing to believe like some old fogey that all the best music was made "back in the day," I try to stay true to the DIY hc/punk ethos, and some of the current, ongoing bands I think fit the modern bill include Deathcycle (political left-wing NYHC), World Burns to Death (dark Austin 'political'-ish hardcore punk), Tragedy, Under Pressure, Australia's Pisschrist, Career Suicide, Tyrades (RIP), Daily Void, The Conversions, etc.

Many people are surprised to learn that left-wing hardcore stalwarts MDC are still going strong, as are England's anarcho-punk Rudimentary Peni, my fanboy fave KILLING JOKE (!!!), and even anarcho-metal-punk old schoolers Amebix recently re-formed. Credit Bush for some of this reinvigoration; he is/was the new Reagan to many young punkers.

This is a recent DIY video of Chicago's Tyrades' "Let Down":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsOgVPpfpY

Love it or leave it, that vid and song what is I consider tr00 punk these days!

If you want a mix-CD or something, let me know offlist. I sent a CD-R of MDC's latest LP to Chris Doss in Russia, but he says he never got it. :(

-B.

Philip Pilkington wrote:

"Never heard of him before... he's pretty good! There's still a lot of good punk orientated music out there as far as I can see. 'At The Drive In' and 'Mars Volta' were certainly keeping it going, 'Death From Above 1979' too, albeit all in a different direction...."