[lbo-talk] WTF??? 6 US states reclaim sovereignty -10thAmendment

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 07:30:26 PST 2009

CB:

> Legally speaking, from whence do you derive this "every right" to
> secession?

Classically speaking, one could cite Jefferson's "every generation needs a new revolution," but "legally"? States are artificial constructs owned and run by those with the power to do so. Statists naturally pass laws to prevent their overthrow or dissolution, marginalizing their domestic opponents, but nothing is "legally" fixed, 'else there'd be no rebellions or revolutions. Personally, I think the Confederacy was full of shit, but they took their shot to jettison from the US and failed. Their right to do so was every bit as valid as the north's right to crush them. I don't think the Confederacy would've survived had it succeeded, as their economy would've stagnated, and there would've been a war or wars with the north at some point. In short, the Confederacy had no chance. But their descendants remain among us, sometimes at the highest levels, so in a sense, they never went away.

Dennis