[lbo-talk] that Gregg thing

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 5 09:31:16 PST 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Percival Myers wrote:

> This could also be a challenge to Gregg. Once past the confirmations
> hearings and votes, will he sabotage or scale back the Commerce
> Department from the inside?

He'll be supervising the 2010 Census, from which redistricting decisions will be made. There was a lot of controversy in 1990 about using standard techniques to adjust for undercount, since these tend to expand estimates of urban (i.e., Dem) populations at the expense of rural (i.e., Rep). My sense is that Census is the most politicized of all the statistical agencies in the U.S.

Doug