[lbo-talk] that Gregg thing

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:15:13 PST 2009

The census is a big deal because it serves as the basis for: --Congressional reapportionment --The allocation of tax dollars through many federal programs --many local jurisdiction decisionmaking and policy processes.

Just meditating on timing, the actual census was conducted in 2000 on Clinton's watch. There were many issues with the application of adjustments to compensate or not for historical problems with undercountingpeople in various subgroups in urban areas.

Given the history and impact of the census, the Dept of Commerce would not necessarily be my first choice about a place to go all bipartisan about.

DC