[lbo-talk] unemployment? not so bad!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:39:33 PST 2009

Nobody can be wrong all the time.

And every day there seems to be a few more who begin to believe in an anthropogenic credit crunch...

E.g.,

Capital Strike?

Joseph A. Palermo

February 3, 2009

After the huge infusions of tax dollars into the private banking industry one would think there would be money available for banks to start lending and begin the process of economic recovery. With real estate prices plummeting there are thousands of safe and profitable projects in the pipeline that banks are choosing to choke off. I know people who invest in commercial real estate in the Sacramento area and they tell me banks are not even lending for risk-free projects. The whole thing is beginning to smell like a "capital strike," a process whereby financial interests conspire to make an economy "scream" when they don't like which way the political winds are blowing...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-a-palermo/capital-strike_b_163506.html

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

JANUARY 31, 2009

A Capital Strike

Yesterday's fourth quarter GDP report came in less awful than expected at a 3.8% decline at an annual rate, but take no solace from that. The decline in the economy would have hit 5% if not for a buildup in inventories that won't be sold any time soon. American consumers and investors are on strike until they see some assurance that the worst is over -- and Washington's tower of babble isn't helping on that or any other score...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123336321034435421.html