[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 13:06:57 PST 2009

Well I was really reacting to the cannibalism Jeffrey Dahmer as Everyman thing, not the booze thing.

Really, the problems with alcohol come down to two things: binging and social tolerance. Speaking somewhat out of my ass, I think this is because these two things are part of the European peasant experience, historically speaking, and Russia stopped being a peasant country within living memory.

Binging because peasants do not have a whole lot of sources of entertainment and, contrary to myth, spend a lot of time with nothing to do. You have periods of intense work and periods of more or less nothing. So you drink. Tolerance because, well, it's a small community and all that. One of the translators where I work is a chronic alcoholic who is constantly late with his work. However, it is tolerated with a resigned sigh, Russian companies still having sort of a village ethos. Now that I think of it, I don't know of anybody who has been fired where I work in the past 5 years. Not that I know everybody in the company.