[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 13:20:56 PST 2009

Doss:

...peasants do not have a whole lot of sources of entertainment and, contrary to myth, spend a lot of time with nothing to do. You have periods of intense work and periods of more or less nothing. So you drink.Gulick:

Jeez, this makes me feel sorry for anarcho-communist types. Their optimistic vision of the radical democratic potential of humanity seems to rest heavily on how the Russian peasantry steadfastly devoted their leisure time to village councils and the like... you know, the Narodniki and all that. Oops. Although I guess binge drinking and political deliberation aren't mutually exclusive. Look at the Russian Duma circa 1993.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_022009