[lbo-talk] Giuliani: I hope Obama has read Amity Shlaes

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:42:14 PST 2009

I hadn't noticed a response to this, so I thought I would respond. Mussolini wasn't elected. He was appointed to the head of state by the king after his 'March on Rome', which largely a stage managed affair. Before assuming state power, the fascists didn't have the mass popular base that the Nazis did. (The NSDAP was receiving over a third of German popular vote by the thirties, while the Fascists had difficulties holding onto even a few parliamentary positions at the time of the march) robert wood