[lbo-talk] Modern punk - WAS Re: The Cramps!

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 03:29:14 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:42 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Philip,
>
> I'm familiar with the bands you write, only to me they fit more into the
> "indie rock" category than as heirs to the punk genre of which I consider
> bands like MDC, The Dicks, Dead Kennedys, etc, the progenitors.
>
> Doug would certainly be the first to let you know of bands I have pestered
> him with in this regard. :)
>
> Refusing to believe like some old fogey that all the best music was made
> "back in the day," I try to stay true to the DIY hc/punk ethos, and some of
> the current, ongoing bands I think fit the modern bill include Deathcycle
> (political left-wing NYHC), World Burns to Death (dark Austin
> 'political'-ish hardcore punk), Tragedy, Under Pressure, Australia's
> Pisschrist, Career Suicide, Tyrades (RIP), Daily Void, The Conversions, etc.
>
> Many people are surprised to learn that left-wing hardcore stalwarts MDC
> are still going strong, as are England's anarcho-punk Rudimentary Peni, my
> fanboy fave KILLING JOKE (!!!), and even anarcho-metal-punk old schoolers
> Amebix recently re-formed. Credit Bush for some of this reinvigoration; he
> is/was the new Reagan to many young punkers.
>
> This is a recent DIY video of Chicago's Tyrades' "Let Down":
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsOgVPpfpY
>

> Love it or leave it, that vid and song what is I consider tr00 punk these
> days!
>
> If you want a mix-CD or something, let me know offlist. I sent a CD-R of
> MDC's latest LP to Chris Doss in Russia, but he says he never got it. :(
>
> -B.

I'd love a mix tape, that would be sweet, I rarely get around to investigating into new DIY sorts of punk, I used to listen to way more of this sort of thing. MDC, Husker Du, Black Flag, Reagan Youth, all that stuff, it would be cool to see what type of stuff is kicking around these days. I'll mail you off list after this.

What really vexes me is that, while I like all the vulgar "spit-on-your-own-mother" sort of stuff, punk really evolved through the 80s and into the early 90s and then all the experimentation suddenly died. Some of the links I was throwing around there would be good examples of this. Crime and the City Solution and The Birthday Party are good examples, but not just Australian stuff. This happened loads of places. Cop Shoot Cop were a New York outfit if I recall correctly and they did some really interesting stuff (for the uninitiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlL7fKT6NUw), obviously more famous bands like Gang of Four and Mission of Burma have to get a mention too. And I know you can lump each of these into various sub-sections or whatever (gothic, industrial etc.) but they're all really just experimental punk music.

What pisses me off is that you see very little of this today - or, at least, I do. You get popular-ish bands picking up on some of the earlier sounds, watering them down and all that, but no one seems willing to continue down a path which started being cleared some 40 years ago. Sticking on a Velvet Underground CD is often more refreshing than listening to new music which claims to continue on this tradition.