[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:35:16 PST 2009

Pilkington:

I'd say check out the (very accesible, it was given to a non-philosophical audience, and) absolutely brilliant lecture series Adorno gave on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Its really a lecture series about the interpenetration between empiricism and formalism ("transcendentalism", same difference) taking Kant, the master of the "system", as his starting point.

Gulick:

Thanks for the tip. It seems that most or all of the Frankfurters had this understanding of the inner connections between empiricism and formalism going on. Is it worth revisiting my mothballed copy of Marcuse's _One Dimensional Man_ for the same? Adorno is normally a more aesthetically pleasing read. (After recollecting his elliptical yet poetic insights about quiz show contests and contestants, I am curious what would he have to say about today's reality TV programs.)

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_022009