[lbo-talk] CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 10:30:02 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [And a senior lecturer in econ. @ Harvard, no less! Check out Libertarian Idea No. 6: "Limit Union Power." Amazing how the term "libertarian" went from meaning left-anarchism - i.e Libertarian labor Review, renamed to Anarcho-Syndicalist Review ca. 1999 because of the term's decay - to this claptrap.

I've had several friends take the libertarian turn recently, and they all imagine that they've ended up closer to me politically. It's very disturbing and makes me wonder how (un)clearly I've experienced myself in the past. My familiarity with libertarianism is not that great and consists mostly of the more theoretical stuff, and so I've been a little surprised at how obviously nationalist these people are. They clearly aren't sophisticated enough to hide that and so don't even try. It makes me very uncomfortable.

(I could point out here how the left is lately just as nationalist as the libertarians have been--with all the huzzahs for Russia and Venezuela, the calls for nationalist solutions to the crisis, etc.--but I'm trying to obey shag's diktat about not sniping.)