[lbo-talk] OZ fires

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 06:02:48 PST 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7878106.stm

[WS:] Strange that they blame "arsonists" for that. I find it hard to believe - it is just too many fires at the same time. I think the arsonist trope is diverting public attention from a more likely human culprit of so many deaths - sprawled settlements. Bush fires are a natural phenomenon, but building homes in areas prone to such disasters is very risky (albeit very profitable for developers).

Any insights?

PS. James Heartfield: What does your "build" plan propose for man-made "natural disasters of that sort i.e. building in natural disaster prone areas? Would not it be better for people as a whole to go for quality rather thna quantity - i.e. high density and high quality urban development instead of suburban sprawl?

Wojtek