[lbo-talk] CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:48:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM, John Gulick <john_gulick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> AR:
>
> In both cases, the left wing is primarily communitarian
> (often rooted in some variant of "Jeffersonian democracy")...
>
> JG:
>
> God, yes. Over the last seven and a half years, countless
> were the online bromides by "left-wing" "libertarians"/"populists"
> that "we the people" "must take America back" from the
> "Constitution trampling" "neo-con cabal." There is scarcely room
> in the US lexicon for any kind of proletarian internationalism that
> goes beyond the Quaker peace movement.
>
> But where do these "left-wingers" go now?
>
> AR: many, particularly in light of their disappointment with the new Admin
(who only ever espoused middling liberal values during the campaign) will, I'd expect return to variations on a theme by localism - from bioregionalism to local foodism to be a tourist in your own townism to charter schoolism, etc. - in short to the politics of place, rather than nation, much less internationalism. The problem will be that many of these folks are actually quite cosmopolitan and satisfactory "places" are actually pretty large, expensive, far apart and few between.