[lbo-talk] New York Times obituary of Lux Interior of The Cramps

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 10 11:24:02 PST 2009

At 06:14 PM 2/9/2009, B. wrote:

>But now that The Cramps will no more LPs, looking at what they did,
>it's really very unique. Southern fried rockabilly mixed with heavy
>metal, punk rock, and with the b-movie weirdness that now seems so
>cliche but in the mid 70s was not exactly played out. The opposite.
>The Cramps viral influence is hardly to accurately chart.

They had some great lyrics. They could pluck something from Little Richard and make it their own, while always making sure people knew about forebears like Little Richard. They always talked about music they liked in interviews, played songs they liked on the radio and put their stamp on collections like the "Born Bad" series.

Here's a line from What's Inside a Girl:

>Can't see it by satellite baby that's cheatin'. The President's
>callin' an emergency meetin'. The King of Siam sent a telegram
>sayin' "Wop bop a loop bop a lop boom bam!"

Here's something on Born Bad:

http://www.geocities.com/dutronic/bornbad09.html

BORN BAD volume NINE

Between 1986 and 1992 six volumes were released each containing 14 wild tunes. Unexpectedly 2003 saw a release of 2 more volumes: 7&8. Born Bad is a series of compilation albums action packed with songs covered, used or adored by The Cramps. What songs could have been unleashed on you if this series had continued?

1. THE SONICS: PSYCHO IJust another coincidence? There's a slight resemblance with "I wanna get in your pants", the best from "Look om no head". It was also on the flip of the "Eyeball in my martini" single. "Psycho" was the Sonics' debut single form 1964, a very crude psycho-punker and a good excuse to start this volume.

2. THE SYMBOLS: DO THE ZOMBIE This is the song that led to "Surfin' dead", the song The Cramps havewritten for the 1985 movie "Return of the living dead". There isn't much info to be found on this mystery band; could they be The Symbols that recorded for the Stanson label in 1958? It's definitely one of the best zombie songs I've ever heard.

3. NAT KING COLE: ROUTE 66 In 1994 the Cramps recorded this standard for their "Flame job" album. We all know the hundreds of cover versions, but it's surprising how many never heard this very first version by crooner Nat in the 40s.

4. ZACHERLE: DINNER WITH DRAC The uncrowned king of horror music. He's crazier than Screamin' Jay Hawkins and more dangerous than Screamin' Lord Sutch. This 1962 Parkway recording is a classic as are his three albums. Zacherle or Zacherley: he always looked as if he had a dinner with Drac.

5. THE DEEJAYS: BLACKEYED WOMAN If you listen very carefully to this 60's Swedish tune, you'll recognize "Hot pool of womanneed", an album track from the 1986 "A date with Elvis". They were quite popular in Sweden; later they relocated to England and disappeared.

6. ELROY DIETZEL: ROCKIN' BONES This is the original version of the song made (in-)famous by the Blonde Bomber aka Ronnie Dawson who passed away in 2003. Ronnie recorded this in 1959 while Elroy recorded his version in 1958. Norton Records reissued the song on a 7"EP.

7. THE SCARLETS: STAMPEDE Surprise! Stampede is the melody for The Cramps' biggest selling single "Bikini girls with machine guns" (hmmm juicy videoclip). It was recorded in 1959 (a great year for instros) and you can also find it on Strummin' mental vol 1" and on White Label's "Real rockin' instrumentals".

8. KENNY OWEN: I'VE GOT A BUG It's indeed the original version of "Badass bug", which appeared on The Cramps' 1997 album "Big beat from badsville". Kenny recorded it for a New York label, Poplar (106) in 1957

9. ROY ORBISON: PROBLEM CHILD Roy recorded this oddity in 1956 and still remains one of his best yet not well known. It used to be a part of the Cramps end-70s live set.

10. THE PLAYBOYS: JUNGLE FEVER This fantastic 1959 instrumental is the melody for the much slower "Can't find my mind" from the Cramps' second album "Psychedelic jungle". It was already discovered by Tim Warren who put it on his "Strummin' mental vol 2" compilation.

11. THE THIRD BARDO: I'M FIVE YEARS AHEAD OF MY TIME This alll-time garage classic from 1967 has been reissued many times on various compilations and almost all garagebands have covered it. So why should The Cramps make an exception? You can find their version on several bootlegs such as "Voodoo rythm" and "Beyond the valley of The Cramps".

12. THE STANDELLS: SOMETIMES GOOD GUYS DON'T WEAR WHITE And here another garage punk classic. That's sure a title meant for me! This 1966 tune from the best band on the Tower label has inspired many garagebands and thus The Cramps as well. Their version can only be heard on several bootlegs such as "Live at Harry's" and "Psychedelic safari".

13. THE STRANGERS: CATERPILLAR CRAWL Another great 1959 instrumental used for a Cramps tune. This Titan release is the real origin of "Garbageman". In 1962 The Rumblers already covered this song as "Boss".

14. THE TEEN ROCKERS: ROAD BLOCK This ultra-wild 1960 guitar crushin' instrumental turned out to become "TV set" from The Cramps' first album "Songs the Lord taught us". It reappeared on the great sampler "Concussion".

go to BORN BAD volume TEN